Before & After
Passport Canada is the federal government agency responsible for issuing Canadian passports.
Service Canada and Canada Post act as passport receiving agents on behalf of Passport Canada.
Receiving agents accept general passport applications (adult and child) and simplified renewal passport applications, review them to make sure that they are accurate and complete, collect the application fee along with your original citizenship document, and forward your application package to Passport Canada for processing. Once Passport Canada has approved and issued your passport, it will be delivered to the mailing address specified in your application.
AFTER: How to Get Your Canadian Passport
Passport Canada issues all Canadian passports. This web page will explain the steps to take to get your first Canadian passport or renew an existing one. Choose the topic that fits your situation from this list:
- I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada
- I am a Canadian citizen living in the United States
- I am a Canadian citizen living outside North America
- I am a Canadian citizen with children
For Canadian citizens living in Canada:
Complete and sign the application form.
To apply for your first Canadian passport: download the general application form now.
To renew a Canadian passport: download the simplified application form now.
Have the required photos taken. Your photos must meet the rules set out in the application form.
Take your completed application, with photos and your application fee, to a Service Canada office or Canada Post outlet.
To apply for your first Canadian passport: You must also bring documents to prove that you are a Canadian citizen.
To renew a Canadian passport: you must bring your old passport with you.
Staff at Service Canada or Canada Post will:
- Check that your application is accurate and complete.
- Collect your application fee and your old Canadian passport (if you have one).
Forward your application package to Passport Canada.
- Once Passport Canada has approved and issued your passport, we will mail it to the address that you provide.